This guide will show you how to install the CloudConnector for Microsoft Active Directory, registering the license required, setting up the windows user, and testing the connection.
- 20MB storage space
- 8GB RAM minimum
- Windows Server 2012 or higher. Server must be able to make outbound internet connection.
- .NET framework 4.6.1 or higher (full framework)
- Windows administrator rights to install.
(Note: The application must be installed on a machine that can make a connection over the network to the Active Directory instance. It is not required for the application to be installed directly on the same machine where Active Directory is installed.)
The ConnectMyApps CloudConnector for Microsoft Active Directory installer .msi file may be downloaded here. The installer file can be verified as coming from ConnectMyApps by checking the digital signature of the installer.
To install simply run the installer .msi file “as administrator”. Click “Yes” to accept terms when prompted and click “Next” until complete. You may need to “unblock” the .msi file if Windows disables it after initial download.
The application will install to the folder “C:\Program Files (x86)\ConnectMyAppsMSAD”. The application will also create a folder under “C:\ProgramData\ConnectMyApps” where config and log files will be stored.
Please note that the folder locations given above are fixed and not configurable.
After installation a licence must be registered to activate the product. Follow these steps to register the licence:
- Run the connector admin app from the desktop:
- In the login window that appears enter the email address and licence key provided to you by ConnectMyApps support.
- You should see a “Licence successfully registered” message.
- Copy the “Cloud Connector Key” from the admin window. You will need to provide this later to ConnectMyApps support:
The connector runs as a Windows Service. By default the service runs under the built-in account “Network Service”.
It is possible to change the account the service runs under, if required. The account must have the following access:
- Ability to find and connect to Active Directory server over the network.
- Ability to read/write from folder “C:\ProgramData\ConnectMyApps”
The connector requires a Windows user login to connect to Active Directory. The login requires rights to be able to manage Active Directory user accounts i.e., rights to create new users, and update or disable existing users.
It is recommended that a special Windows user login be created. We recommend calling the user “CMA” or “ConnectMyApps” to aid future identification. We recommend placing the user in a custom group and then delegating control to that group using the Active Directory “Delegation of Control Wizard” to delegate the following permissions:
Once the connector is installed and the user login provisioned, you are ready to provide the connection details to ConnectMyApps support who will test the connection. The support team will register the connection details, encrypted at rest in your account in the ConnectMyApps cloud.
The details you need to provide are:
- The “Cloud Connector key” from step “Licence Registration”
- The user login name and password from step “User Login Setup”.
- The machine name and local IP address of the Active Directory server.
The above details are sensitive and should not be sent via email. Please contact email@example.com to arrange a secure share link.
ConnectMyApps support will then test and verify the connection is working.